Fall Quarter Leadership Mindset Reset
It’s October. The end of the year looms, and much remains to be done by December 15, when work pretty much stops in many work environments. And, somewhere on that crowded list of urgencies is your commitment to keep making progress in becoming a transformational leader. It is time for this year’s final leadership assessment and reset!
- How has your leadership ability grown over the last nine months?
- How do those now-ancient January self-improvement resolutions look? Have they been neglected, or nurtured?
- What action can you take to keep progressing, and get some neglected resolutions back on track?
Here are just a few ideas to reset and refocus your leadership mindset:
Give yourself credit. Everyone has had mixed results to this point. Your year-to-date results probably match up reasonably with those of your peers. Spot the successes by asking people where they have seen improvement in your leadership style. Celebrate!
Reassess your key resolutions. Where is the progress, and where are the laggards hitting roadblocks?
- What habit changes have you achieved that have improved your effectiveness as a leader?
- What are the two or three key habits you still need to change to lead yourself better, and then lead others better?
- What can you do in October to embed the positive habits that will continue to make a real difference in your productivity?
Ask for honest feedback from others. Do not allow peers and employees to reinforce your bad habits by holding back true feedback out of a concern for offending you. Let them know that your self-esteem is tied up in the obtaining of the new habits, not retaining the old. Give coworkers clear permission to be frank (pursue the truth)!
Be honest with yourself. Do not give yourself credit for progress when you haven’t made much. That leads to working on the wrong issues.
Refresh your mentoring or coaching relationships.
- Have your forged strong coaching or mentoring relationships?
- How well are you using your coach or mentor?
- Could that resource use an infusion of attention and energy?
- Offer to set up a cross-coaching or mentoring partnership, especially if your short list of desired habit changes resonates with a professional counterpart.
Rejuvenate your “Forward-Thinking, Action-Oriented Leadership Mindset.” You can do this!!!
The bottom line: There is still time to progress toward your 2016 leadership improvement goals. Reset, refocus, recommit and restart your program.
Let us know how we can help kick-start you and your team to make the next three months and 2017 highly productive, and immensely satisfying!